Mother Goose - Laura Goetz

c Laura Goetz 2012, Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Mary Mary Quite Contrary, is a Mother Goose Rhyme that has been passed down through oral tradition and published over centuries.  The origins are steeped in history.  One theory is the rhyme refers to Mary Tudor, nicknamed Bloody Mary, who was the daughter of King Henry VIII.

I learned the words as a child, (the Mother Goose Club Version) unaware of the history or meaning. Although the history is interesting, I chose to illustrate the rhyme on a more cheerful note.
My garden was the inspiration for this illustration.  In this painting, my daughter is portrayed as Mary, and if you look closely you can see her rabbit Daisy.  This illustration was painted with Winsor Newton watercolors on Arches paper.
To view more of my art:  www.lauraspencil.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The CBIG 2023 Illustration Directories

2022 CBIG Directories

Aesop's Fables - Ginger Nielson